Old Regen pages

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

AamirM
Very interested

Old Regen pages

Post by AamirM » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:01 pm

Hi,

These are the latest version of Regen for Linux and Windows. Changes of each are given below:

Windows

Version 0.85
--------------

Well, this release may not look much different from previous (0.77) one but beleive me there have been many many changes.
Two major emulation subsystems have been totally replaced with new ones . They are the timing and event system and the second
being the new YM2612 core. There were many betas released to make sure every game worked correctly and more accurately than ever.
Though its true that I haven't implemented some front-end related feature requests because I didn't wanted to delay this release
any longer. I am sorry for that.

* Totally rewrote timing code and implemented a new event system. I think this new code is very close to being 100% accurate.
Although Regen still emulates line-by-line this code will give results that can only be achieved by running the emulator cycle-by-cycle.
This code is not slow either. In fact, it may be *faster* than the previous code. This code is still in early stages but I thought
it was stable enough to released. Now why I did it? Especially since the previous system was already very mature.
Well the only *real* reason for me was that a user posted me a small demo program that will only run correctly if the timings of the
emulator were absolutely perfect. So, as you may have guessed, that it did not work correctly under Regen. But the interesting thing
is that it did not work correctly in Kega either. Fixing the demo broke many other games. But with this new system not only the demo
works correctly but also all the games work perfect (as far as I've tested). This new system has also fixed some games that
did not worked previously which include:
- Bram Stoker's Dracula
- Wheel of Fortune
It also fixes some of the glitches in games like Legends of Galahad, Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing,
Striker, Deadly Moves (runs even better than Kega) and many more.
* Replaced MAME's FM core with my own YM2612 emulator which I had been working on for some time.
This is the reason this release took so long. It more accurate than MAME's core and very close to real thing.
Listen to Warlock, Ariel, Shaq Fu etc... for the difference. If a game still doesn't sound correctly
please reprot it.
* Changed 68k timings. This fixes Surging Aura.
* Sound in Pac-Man 2, The New Adventures (U) fixed. Maybe the first time for any Genesis emulator. I couldn't find
any other emu that runs it correctly.
* Corrected the behaviour of X-MEN 2 and Eternal Champions on reset.
* Fixed the PAR finally this time. All the codes will now work Regen that worked in Kega and real hardware.
* Added multi-language support to Regen menus. There are many languages available by default. Thanks to their
authors. See the respective language files for their names. You can create your own language file too.
See the readme for that. Please note that there won't be any check beside any selected language. That is
because I noticed the list changes on every run of Regen even if no new languages are installed. This creates
the problem of check appearing against wrong language. There are solutions to it but its just too much pain.
* Changed the drop list height in redefine keys dialog so that 6-button, Menacer, Sega Mouse options are visible.
People thought Regen didn't support them
* Regen will now correctly load Kega and Gens' created SRAM files.
* Now you can pause a game then press space for executing just one frame. Useful for taking precise screenshots.
* Fixed and improved the EEPROM support. All games that *did* have EEPROM originaly will run
correctly now.
* Fixed a small glitch in country sub menu.
* Multiple messages can now be displayed.
* Added a small program in "Fonts" directory to create fonts for the emulator text engine. Please note that it will
ask twice to select font. The first will be used when 'Superfast Rendering' or 'None' is selected. The second will
be used when a plugin is selected and is usually the same as the first one but nearly twice the size. I could do it
programmatically but I didn't because this way the user can tweak the sizes individually because the second font doesn't
appear to be exactly twice the size (little bigger) even the height is exactly the twice of the first one.
* AVI movie recording support. Don't ask for any other format please. Recording directory is same
as sound.
* Loading a game multiple times will create only one entry in the File History.
* Fixed FPS display being cut-off if in three or more digits in None plugin mode.
* Fixed some crashes especially when changing the sound rate.
* Many other internal changes.

Linux

Version 0.9
-----------

* First official Linux release. Previous was just a proof-of-concept :)
* Fixed Combat Cars two player mode screen.
* Optimized the YM2612 core resulting in big speed increase.
* Added SSG-EG support to the YM2612 core. Now some instruments in Shiru's and HardWareMan's TurboFM player are correct.
Alisia's Dragon (U) also seems to use this. All the information come totally from current MAME core so thanks to
Jarek Burczynski and Tatsuyuki Satoh.
* Optimized the VDP rendering code resulting in another good speed increase.
* Fixed sound in some Chinese games. GoodGen lists them unknown. But they look very nice.
* Fixed Time Killers and Onslaught lock-ups.
* Improved 6-button pad support a bit. Fixes controls in Mortal Kombat.
* DAC sound in Mega Turrican and some others fixed.
* Slightly changed the 68k timings. This removes the flickering in Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel.
* Changed VDP timings a bit. This fixes Streets of Rage intro not showing up.
* Improved region detection a bit.

Downloads

Linux Version

Some render plugins for Linux version

Windows Version (for Pentium3 and Athlons)

Windows Version (for Pentium4 and up)

stay safe and enjoy,

AamirM
Last edited by AamirM on Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:37 am, edited 13 times in total.

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Anything for PowerPC G4?

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:38 pm

evildragon wrote:Anything for PowerPC G4?
What operating system are you using?

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:18 pm

This is the slowest MD emulator I've seen... only Kgen98 from DOSbox is as slow on my 1.1GHz Celeron... I guess it runs nicely on my new PC
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:29 pm

AamirM wrote:
Mac OS X Tiger

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:56 pm

evildragon wrote:
AamirM wrote:
Mac OS X Tiger
Sorry, I don't have a Mac and also don't know much about it. I would like to do it but then someone has to send me a Mac :D . If you have linux I may do it.

stay safe,

AamirM

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:57 pm

AamirM wrote:
evildragon wrote:
AamirM wrote: What operating system are you using?
Mac OS X Tiger
Sorry, I don't have a Mac and also don't know much about it. I would like to do it but then someone has to send me a Mac :D . If you have linux I may do it.

stay safe,

AamirM
Mac OS X has X11, perhaps coding for that?

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/tools/X11.html

I don't have an Intel Mac. If I did, I'd use VMWare Fusion, but alas, I use a PowerPC G4 RISC CPU.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:08 pm

I would use SDL. But again, I don't have a Mac.

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:23 pm

SDL works, "Chocolate Doom" uses it..

But oh well....

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:09 pm

Wow, Virtua Racing working on a emulator ! Awesome !
Great work dude, i'll use it intensively just for that reason ;) Thanks !

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:53 am

Hi,

Please note that my emulator was not the first to emulate it. PicoDrive was the first. Look here.

stay safe,

AamirM[/url]

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:58 am

always nice to see new md emu, congrats , but why is the 68000 debugger disabled ? :p

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:25 am

Pascal wrote:always nice to see new md emu, congrats , but why is the 68000 debugger disabled ? :p
I think nobody needs it(and it was buggy too :lol: ). I will remove it in the next release.

Pascal
Very interested

Post by Pascal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:29 am

oh please , it's always good to have debuggers (it's a dev forum afterall :p) so leave it and activate it ;)

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:49 am

AamirM wrote:I think nobody needs it(and it was buggy too :lol: ). I will remove it in the next release.
There is many people who almost crying without good SMD debugger. Romhackers, fan translators, and homebrew developers too.