Noob, nub, however you want to pronounce it

Ask anything your want about Megadrive/Genesis programming.

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

FrozenDelight
Interested

Post by FrozenDelight » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Trust me Jedite01, I'm not lucky. You just don't know the details of my lame life. For example, I haven't mentioned that this final degree year is a retake. I failed it last time, and now I'm paying to retake it, which is taking me to an early grave.

I admire your enthusiasum Jedite01, but yeah the 3D stuff is too much for now. By the way, you probably already know this, but the 32X is even more capable of 3D. Not that i would recommend coding for it, I do like this tech demo though;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOWZbydnlZE

Of course, any interest in 3D may as well be expressed through your PC, it is far more capable. I'm sure you are already aware of all the 3D apps on PC. One that is not quite as well known is Zbrush, if you prefer a more naturalistic aproach to creating models, use that.

I thought you already knew about BasiEgaXorz! I am also learning it, but from the sounds of it, you have had more experience with BASIC. Through wanting to code for Mega Drive, I have found for me, the best way is to learn Assembly through using BasiEgaXorz at the same time. Also to read some Assembly books. But through trying to learn, I have found that it may be important to learn how hardware works, like PCBs, microchips etc. I keep having to dig deeper, I've got to a point now where I'm learning how computers fundamentally work, so I'm kind of far off Mega Drive stuff for now :P It's ok though, it's pretty fun. Eventually if I get any good, I would like to write a detailed guide to programming for complete beginners. There doesn't seem to be that many around, they usually assume you know about programming already, or they don't both explaining WHY something works when you write code, they just tell you how.

It all started when I found a free withdrawn book in a library called '68000 Family Assembly Language' by Alan Clements. It's supposed to be for beginners, but 1994s idea of a noob seems to be rather different from now :P So I am now learning how computers work, and how programming fundamentally works on a base level. So low down that it doesn't matter which langauge.

Sorry, I'm talking too much. Too much coffee, I shall stop now.

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:47 pm

o.0 Wow. I just woke up, and I barely understood half of what you said :shock:

Yes, I know, the Sega Genesis no likey 3-D. I'm not aiming towards polygons, much more towards a Ray-casting engine.

And that's quite depressive, isn't it? Lame life? -.-

I was thinking about the 32x for a long time. That add-on sounds even more complicated than the Sega CD! (The 32x just happens to add two SH2 processors, more ram and fancy sound and graphic capabilities) So together with the Sega CD, one would be programming for four processors (The Genny's 68000, the Sega CD's 68000, and them SH2s) and all that. Sega's so cool 8) I have no idea why they did that, but they're still cool in my eyes :)

And, whoop-dee-doo, you happened to find a book on the 68000's assembly language. FOR FREE. What will you 'find' next? The Japanese Sega Tera drive with matching keyboard and monitor with some games and the software -- Lying on the street. If you found that, bad things will happen :twisted:

Btw- Did you know that the 68000 was the main processor in many early Macintoshes and other older computer systems? Everybody should know that even if they hate Apple :)

Does this mean... The Sega Genesis is an Apple fan?! :shock:

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:08 pm

Amiga kicked the ass off Apple
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Commodore Amiga? Commodore is bad-ass lol

I still have my old Commodore 64c, which is a remake of the C64. COMPLETE WITH DOCUMENTS AND MANUALS! :D I barely use it, my RF cable is always connected to my Genny 8) And I never got around to buying a monitor for the Commodore. Gee, maybe I'll find one in the street or in a library, hmmm? (Yeah, I simply can't get over that :roll: )

Did I mention the RF cable is the OFFICIAL GENESIS RF ADAPTOR? This slight detail is so important because I used to use a generic adaptor :x Ugh Generic... I guess I'm a perfectionist about that too :?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:12 pm

TmEE co.(TM) wrote:Amiga kicked the ass off Apple
That's for sure. I went with the Amiga when I switched from 8 bit to 16 bit as the Mac was a laugh compared to the Amiga, and we don't even want to mention PCs of that era.
:lol:

FrozenDelight
Interested

Post by FrozenDelight » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:24 pm

Chilly Willy wrote:
TmEE co.(TM) wrote:Amiga kicked the ass off Apple
That's for sure. I went with the Amiga when I switched from 8 bit to 16 bit as the Mac was a laugh compared to the Amiga, and we don't even want to mention PCs of that era.
:lol:
I had an Atari 520 ST(m) around that time. Recently booted it up actually, still works! Quite yellow though, I would like to make some 'retro' stuff to clean it, can't remember what its called. Also theres not enough sun in England to bake it :P I discovered I didn't have any good games on my Atari ST, and trying to play using one of those sticks is horrible.

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:08 pm

Are we spinning off topic? :lol: But I guess I kindof started it, haha. So, then... Hmm, I don't know what to say. Whatever, keep talking about computers. :D

The oldest computer (x86 Based) I have is an HP Vectra XM Series 4... And I downgraded it, :P

I installed an IBM x86 133 MHz processor and oh, I downgraded the RAM too; It used to have 24 Megs of RAM, now it has 8 Megs. It used to have a 200 MHz Pentium with MMX Tech, but I had an IBM processor laying around from an even older computer that I threw out, so I was like, whatever? I guess I had nothing better to do with my life (At the moment) , so why not downgrade it :D

Ugh, I hate the HP because you have to set DIP switches to set the speed of the processor :x Like you really have to do that? The BIOS even recognizes the speed of the processor right off the bat. Uh, maybe it's for safer overclocking :roll: I never really overclocked anything. My dad overclocked his computer awhile back and it burst into flames (Exaggeration, much? No, the processor just melted) So I guess I was turned off of overclocking. It sounds fun though, but I bet there are alot of elements one must be careful of while they overclock something.

FrozenDelight
Interested

Post by FrozenDelight » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:31 pm

It seems to me that overclocking is a bit pointless nowadays.

I think that the problem with this topic going on a tangent, is that it's mostly about pixel art, which we have kind of exhusted now. Besides just practicing it, there isn't much else to say. This thread may be coming to an end, I'm afraid.

EDIT - I have been "learning" more Assembly, it is sooo so hard it's unreal :P
Last edited by FrozenDelight on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jedite01
Interested

Post by Jedite01 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:59 pm

Darn, you're probably right :( But it's kindof cool, this is my first post and it's became popular with 90+ replies :) I know other posts have done better, but whatever. Okay then, ABANDON POST! :? When my images I happen to STILL be working on are finished, I should make a post in Bla Bla, because it just so happens that there is no art section or whatever. Got it? End of subject! (I have no authority to do this haha)

?BREAK IN TOPIC
READY.